Top 10 Buying Tips
Buying a house is one of the largest financial transactions in your life. It is a big deal!
1. Determine what you can afford BEFORE you start looking (Get pre-approved for a mortgage)
2. Ask for help and advice – It doesn’t cost you to hire a Professional Realtor® (the seller usually pays) but it can save you a bundle and makes the process so much easier.
3. Have the home inspected by a professional Home Inspector
4. Understand all the costs involved in the purchase (closing costs, lawyer fees, insurance…)
5. Take a look at the neighbourhood surrounding the house. When you buy a house you are buying into a neighbourhood.
6. Understand your needs and wants (write them down) before you start viewing properties (Example: # bedrooms, # bathrooms, walkable location to amenities, pets, rentals…)
7. Put at least 20% down if you can.
8. Try to put the emotion aside and crunch the numbers
9. Review your credit score and see that accurately reflects your current financial position. Ask about ways to improve your credit.
10. Once the deal is done, stop searching for new listings and focus on your move